Friday, January 8, 2010

Hey Hey for the Monkey's!!


On December 26th we all decided to go hiking at Mac Ritchie Reservoir here in Singapore. They have a Tree Top Walk that Rick had been wanted to hike. The 6 of us piled into 2 taxis’s and headed to the main gate. It was sunny, humid and hot….imagine that! From the looks of the map we had to hike 7k just to get to the start of the Tree Top Walk. Can you say; “Cassie was not happy with her bum heal to have to walk that far” But she went…ever the good sport! (That’s for you Lindsay & Caitlyn).



We found our way to the entrance of the trail and were greeted by a band of monkeys. They had babies that were adorable but these monkeys were just roaming around the park, like squirrels or dogs or birds. And there were a lot of them. We all had a ball taking pictures of the cute but wild monkeys and then started up the trail. One baby monkey decided to climb on Rick’s shoe. The little cutie then proceeded to pull on the hair on Rick’s leg and play with his shoe lace. Then all of a sudden the little guy tried to go up Rick’s shorts!!! It was amazing and really funny. Rick finally got the baby monkey off him and we stared our trek.



Did I mention it was hot & humid? It was, thankfully I had bought Rick & I these scarf like neck ties that you soak in water and it keeps you cool for up to 3 hours. We tried them out for the first time and they did work at keeping me from getting totally red in the face from all this exhaustion and heat! After a really long while we got to the end of the trail and had to get onto another trail just to get to the entrance of the Tree Top Walk. Caitlyn was leading the way; she must have thought it was a race. Amanda was her buddy, then the two lovers (Lindsay & Ryan) and last Rick and I the old slow people. Him with is bad back and me with my plantar fascitis.


Finally, after seeing a few more monkeys we made it to the start of the Tree Top Walk. It was a suspended swinging bridge that only was supposed to hold 30 people at a time. As our luck would have it the guy monitoring that didn’t give a shit and I know we had more than 30 people on the bridge at once. Several of us were a bit uneasy or shall I say panicked!! Unfortunately for us the family in front of us didn’t care that there were over 30 people behind them and took their time taking loads of pictures and walking slow. Did I mention the bridge was single file? Well except for the Asian family that decided to stop in the middle and we all had to navigate around them. No Lindsay I will not get on my soap box and tell the world all my stereotypes about Asians.



We made it to the end but I’m not sure it was worth all the hiking and sweating it took to get there. Then we had to trek all the way back the way we came! Needless to say we walked over 10k that morning. Why can’t I seem to lose weight when I’m doing all this walking and sweating? This makes no sense to me! Can someone explain this and no family don’t tell me it’s because I eat ice-cream or chocolate!!!






We found our way out and Rick phoned for 2 taxi’s, but alas the taxi’s couldn’t find us and we got to wait in the sun & heat. Ryan, Lindsay & Caitlyn got the first taxi that came our way and Rick, Amanda & I had to walk out to the main road to hail a taxi. Overall it was a good family activity and seeing the monkeys made it worth while. Next time I’ll just go to the head of the trail and see the monkeys and then taxi home. Think I’ll skip the hiking. Rick says he’ll go there and run when Amanda & I are in the U.S. this summer. Good for him.........



Don't they look HOT?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.