Friday, July 24, 2009

Day 1 the Adventure begins with a BANG!

It's finally time for the big move. I was awoken at 6:25 a.m. by a computer voice telling me my 5:00 p.m. flight from Washington, DC to Newark, NJ was canceled due to "weather". Minutes later Rick was calling to tell me my flight was cancelled. I spent the next two hours calling Continental Airlines, Singapore Airlines and Continental Airlines again. Everyone was passing the buck as usual! Singapore Airlines tried to "rebook" me on the same cancelled flight until I brought it to their attention, then they tried to tell me I'd have to wait until Friday to fly. (You do not tell a women who has been living apart from her husband for nearly 4 months that she has to wait another day!) Plus I was looking at at least 3 available flights on the Continental website! Then I was "wait listed" on a sold out flight at 3:00 p.m. Continental couldn't help rebook the flight they said it was Singapore Airs job. After checking the website and realizing the flights available had only a few seats left and had a 30-40% on time arrival, I decided to rent a car and drive the 4 hours to Newark to ensure I made the 11:00 p.m. flight to Singapore.

I got the rental car, packed it with our 5 suitcases, 1 box & 4 carry-ons. We waited to see Lindsay, she was returning from a week in Thailand visiting her boyfriend. She leaves August 1st to start her job in Japan. At 1:00 p.m. Amanda & I hit the road. We made good time until we hit the NJ turnpike. No surprises there! We were in stop and go traffic for 17 miles and then heavy traffic and rain the rest of the way to Newark. A good reminder of one of the reasons I hate NJ. (sorry NJ friends, I love you but have no love loss for NJ) We pulled up the the airport and unloaded all our baggage. I asked Amanda to go inside and bring out a trolley for the bags. She came out proud as a peacock with the carry on luggage guide, that sort of looked like a trolley but clearly wasn't! We lugged everything inside & Amanda waited in the terminal for me to return the rental car. Of course I left my cell phone in the car because all I could think about was finding a bathroom and peeing! When I remembered to the car drop off my rental car as no where to be found. I had to go to the main office and and they called around and went to lost and found to retrieve it. 45 minutes later I arrived at the terminal only to realize it would be another 3o minutes until we could check in. We lined up all our luggage and waited.

During the check-in I was told I'd have to pay $117 each for my two extra bags........hopefully I can expense that to Reckitt Benckiser as a move expense. We cleared customs with no issues which was a blessing since Amanda usually has some prohibited substance or water bottle in her bag and has to be searched! Maybe she's finally learned? Now I'm sitting in the business class lounge munching on cheese and crackers and enjoying my 2nd glass of wine. My prayer is our flight will be on time and in 19.5 hours I'll be seeing Rick.

It's been a long 3.5 months........ and I'm ready to start my life in Singapore. On the bright side our household goods are due to be delivered on Tuesday so that will be another good story I'm sure.

Hugs to all,
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.