I'm so happy the unpacking is done and everything is put away! Yesterday had a guy from the moving company show up and hang all the pictures for me. Rick really enjoyed the fact that he didn't have to do this. It took an industrial strength drill to screw into the concrete walls. That's a good thing since we are on the top floor and I hope that means the building is typhoon proof.
Only had 2 broken items so that was a relief. Rick worked half a day yesterday. It was his 47th birthday. Amanda & I walked to the grocery store with my "little old lady cart". She was embarrassed I was bringing the cart. On the way back home with all our bags she was "happy" I had the cart. She had to carry a mop & bucket while I put all the food in my "granny cart". The carrot cake batter came out fine. We put it in the oven only to realize after 5 minutes the oven was on the convection setting (which may come in handy on Thanksgiving). It was really brown on top. After I adjusted the setting the cake finished cooking and tasted really good. Rick was very happy to have his favorite cake.
Tonight we will try and cook tacos with "minced beef" that is what they call ground beef here. It was $10 Singapore dollars for 300 kg (1/2 lb) about $8 usd.
Cute story.....Tuesday night Rick & I went to dinner at the HR managers apartment. She was having a farewell for a couple whom are leaving. Amanda baby sat for a family who moved here a week before us. The Dad is from the UK and the Mum is from New Zealand. The kids were 7 & 9. The next day the kids told theirDad that it was so fun to have Amanda over. She is the first American they have spent anytime with and found her "accent" fascinating "just like the movies"! Funny since Amanda found their accents darling.
Our Lindsay will be leaving for her job in Japan on August 1st. It's hard to believe she'll only be about a 7 hour plane trip for us. We are planning on going to see her for a long weekend in September. She's going to be teaching English in a middle school in Fukui, Japan.
Now that the hard stuff is over I'll have time to take some photos and upload them. TGIF!
Singapore's name derives from the Malay words for lion & city. The Malay Prince Sang Nila Utama is said to have founded Singapore in the 13th century and given it the name Sigapura after seeing an impressive wild animal on the island. In all likelihood, the animal was a Malayan tiger!
Be Well!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.